Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Project Roundup

We returned from our Two Harbors vacation on Monday afternoon. My vacation knitting goal was to complete my aqua baby afghan at Two Harbors, and then make significant in-roads on the Cupcake afghan while we are on retreat. I did not quite finish the aqua, Vanna's Choice baby afghan, but I am nearing the finish line. All I need to do is bind off and tuck in ends. Leo, your blanket is almost ready!

During this stay at Two Harbors, I was able to check out most of the restaurants and shops in the vicinity. My top picks are Pioneer Arts Co-op (a required North Shore stop for me) The Sweet Pea, and Burt's Mercantile. The Sweet Pea carries imported gift items, and also has a number of booths which local artists rent to hock their wares. Some of these artists also have merchandise at the Pioneer Arts Co-op, so if you cannot make it up the shore, a trip here would still give you an in to the local market. Burt's Mercantile carries mostly foodstuffs, with an emphasis on wild rice. However, they do sell quilts and aprons made locally. I was particularly attracted to their use of beautiful quilted wall hangings around their bins. I did not see prices on these, so I was not sure if they were for sale, or just decor. Still, they lent a pleasant ambiance to the store. It was fun just to look at them. We discovered a thrift store in town, too. Musty smelling, but otherwise well organized, and inexpensive. If you are looking for dishes, stop there before heading to Second-Hand Rose in Silver Bay (another required stop). My favorite places for food were On the Waterfront Cafe, and The Vanilla Bean. Of course, Burlington Bay was still my favorite, and most productive agate hunting grounds.

I did the fitting for Brenden's sister's dress for the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment