Tuesday, January 23, 2018

On UFO's, Bread and Other Things

Much as I had intended, I only completed one of  the sewing projects which I started a couple of months ago. On Saturday afternoon  I did do some sewing on a nearly  complete project, only to have a clog in my feed dog. Polyester twill tape is not nearly as nice to work with as cotton. I will probably end up having to cut a new piece. Then I will wait until the iron is hot enough to press the hem nice and tight before I sew it down. Hopefully that will do the trick. That completed, I can go back to finish the second of the two of these rolls which I cut out at the same time. I cannot give more details since one is a gift item. The other is for me.

I also dug through a yarn bin and selected a red wool for a triangular shawl pattern, just to do something with the yarn. I had originally selected that yarn for a scarf pattern, but thought it would be too itchy around someone's neck. People are no longer accustomed to wearing wool, and no longer require it for warmth. I am enjoying knitting a complex pattern again, although I have spent much time ripping and re-knitting. The count must be perfect, and I have forgotten how to rip with loads of yarn overs and psso's. It is a project which will need to be completed without the distraction of television. I will need to remain very faithful to my marker. I so envy the women who can chart the increases for such patterns. It requires more thought from me than I am willing to give. 

On top of that I picked up a completed baptismal gown from Rose so that I can start a new batch for CUF. I am waiting for my new JoAnn flyer so that I can use a coupon for the fabric. The cutting will be no big deal, but a couple of us are not fond of the basting. I was hoping to modify the pattern to eliminate the basting, but Fr. Tom likes the current style. Once I have the fabric and have done the cutting, I can check to see if anyone is willing to serge the edges, and eliminate the need for the  basting. The embroidered edge which Rose has done is very pretty, but that, too, requires someone with the machine capable of doing it. Mine lacks that capacity.

I tried two new bread recipes, Vermont Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread, and Wheat Pecan Bread, both recipes from King Arthur Flour. I was a bit shocked at the amount of sugars in the first bread. Way more than I prefer. I was also leery of the cinnamon. However, it is a very soft bread, and the cinnamon makes it smell like cinnamon rolls, so Arthur liked it. I liked the softness, too. Next time I think I will make it without the cinnamon, since I do not care for that flavor in sandwiches. Also, I will add the yeast just after the oatmeal soak cools down, before adding any flour. I made the wheat pecan loaf  by hand instead of using a bread machine. I thought I would appreciate the protein from the nuts, but even chopped, they require too much chewing. I prefer my nuts in salads, brownies or cookies.

Gracie and I are off to the vet again this week. Her ear is infected, and then the vet will draw a urine sample to complete the testing recommended at our last visit. We need to know if she has kidney  malfunction, or if she only had a urinary tract infection. We are spending more on vet bills than we like, but a new cat is not cheap, either, and Gracie's personality is quite entertaining.

Arthur and I ordered a whole slew of books two weeks ago. He ordered two from Fred's assignment list, while I ordered Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons, Taylor Marshall's Sword and Serpent, and Terry Beatley's What If We've Been Wrong?. Every time I buy a book Arthur says, "You've finished all of your other  books, right?" No, I have not. I am working on them, however. I have made good progress on Chesterton's book on Aquinas, and another of our juvenile books on Jane Austen is my vision therapy reading. Perhaps when the vision therapy is done, I will be able to read as fast as he. On the other hand, his books are not interrupted by embroidery and knitting projects!

One of my absolute favorite products from Shaklee has returned again - Scour Off  Paste, a.k.a. bubblegum paste, or the pink stuff, at our house. Wahoo! Shaklee had to look for a new manufacturer after the previous manufacturer retired. I go through tons of the paste since I use it on my stove top. Arthur also uses it to clean the fireplace glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment