Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday

Yesterday I finished a baby bootie using a pattern from The Knitter's Bible. I successfully used the M1 increase from both the front and back, and did a simple turn. Today I will attempt to stitch the seam. Next I think I will start a beret from the sport weight pale blue Brown Sheep wool that I purchased years ago from The Weaver's Cabin. May as well use it up while I am trying something new. I found a shamrock dishcloth pattern from http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/, but decided not to buy the green yarn yet.

This week PBS did a rerun from Frontline on Dignitas, a group which promotes assisted suicide. The program included footage of an actual suicide from their "suicide apartment" in Switzerland. For a suicide, the man certainly required a large number of people to give him assistance. Surely, with that much support, it would have been just as easy to help him to live. The man choosing to take his own life did not appear to be in great pain or disability. Nor did the death seem very dignified as I watched the man call for apple juice to wash down the apparently unpleasant tasting sedative cocktail. His wife wished him a good journey before she left the room, and I kept thinking, a journey to where? He did not believe in an afterlife, only that we reamin alive as long as someone remembers our name (sic). There is no journey between life and death. We are only living, or dead. When we are dead we face God for our judgment, heaven, hell or purgatory and then heaven.

This issue lead me to a conversation I once had with Fr. John Mary Burns, O.C.D., regarding the existence of God. Father said somthing to the effect of, "Why not give God a try? If He is not real, you have nothing to loose. Do you want to take the chance of denying Him if He is real?" We have been presented with many proofs that God exists in philosophy, in miracles, and in Christ's coming to earth. On the other hand, who can proove that God does not exist? We are so busy trying to discredit the proofs for God, that we forget about the proofs against Him, and the "What if He does exist?". Just in case He does, I wouldn't piddle around with assisted suicide.

"At the end, forever, you and I will be in Heaven or Hell, period." Fr. John Corapi

"But the master of a slave has by law the right of life and death over him...." St. Louis de Montfort, True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin.

1 comment: