Saturday, November 13, 2010

Six of One

I am embroidering simple cross stitch quilt squares. As I work to untangle my floss for the first five crosses, I think of all of those who scold the long string users. The theory is that quilt thread, embroidery floss, and hand-sewing thread should never be longer than 18 inches, so that it does not tangle as it worked. Us long threaders prefer them long even if we have to deal with tangles, so that we do not have to make so many knots. We are just as correct.

I can think of countless examples where there are not the absolutes sometimes attributed. Women can make beautiful quilts out of cut up clothing and cardboard templates as well as out of pricey quilt shop fabric and the latest cutting tools. Eggs can be eaten runny or hard. Toilet paper can roll from the front or from the back. Cats can live in the house, or in the barn. A person can be comfortable reading from a book, or off of a Kindle. There is no disputing taste.

It looks as if I will have to head to the veterinarian with Gracie, if not for her shots, at least for a look-see at her eye. There is no pus, but I do wipe blood away daily from her tear duct, and her eye is quite red. The fur around the eye is now darkening, as if bruised underneath.  I do not like the thought of spending money on the cat just now.

I am making headway on several different quilt projects. Can' have just one going at a time. No Sirree! Last night I did restrain myself to window shopping at JoAnn's for fabric that will match some of my future quilt pieces. If I get too much piled up my stress level increases.

No comments:

Post a Comment