Thursday, October 25, 2012

Made by Me, Take 2

I wrote about the book, Made by Me (Jane Bull, Dorling Kindersley Limited, 2009) when I first purchased copies for myself and my Goddaughter. Maria's assignment for our next sewing date is to complete sewing the ribbons on her purse (Bags of Ribbon, p. 34 ff.) She is having a bit of difficulty sewing the ribbons on evenly, my guess is because some of them have a suede nap. She has been using a combination of machine and hand sewing. She also started a cross stitch design (pp. 20 ff.), but I was unable to find a fabric larger than 16 point, so that also is a challenge. I, on the other hand, am going to town on the Hanging Softies ( pp. 30 ff.)! These are so cute that I had to try one, and one has turned into several now that I have purchased felt in many colors. I have been letting my 91 year old mother help with cutting pieces and picking colors as she is able, so that she has some sort of diversion. I am using acrylic felt to economize, but if I were to do a large gift item, I would love to try wool felt. The felt is easy to sew, and I am  getting the hang of starting and ending blanket stitch once again. I have done the hearts with flowers, the chick ornament in a couple of different colors, and hearts with buttons. I had circles cut,  but decided I wanted more traditional designs, rather than mod. A couple small bags come next. Oh, Maria, you've got to try these!

My stash busting continues in the basement. That blue latticed quilt meant for Catholic Charities will now be enlarged to go to Quilt Bingo at St. Anthony's. A few hotpads to go, and I will be finished with as much as I can get done for the Prolife Kids Club bake sale this Sunday. The hotpads have used very little fabric, but I got to try the coordinating pieces I got from a stash someone gave to St. Anthony's, and colors from my stash that will not be usable for anything else that I can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment