Friday, July 10, 2015

More on the Closet Update

I went thrift store shopping yesterday, and was able to add one more top in my autumn colors. I also ordered more used books on the subject, copies for me and copies for my daughter.

I helped Anne with a few colors. She is a cool, probably a summer. She looked very good in my off-white ruffled jacket, and in baby pink. I am thinking Ariana is a spring.

From Colleen Hammond's webinar on Tuesday on developing a uniform for stay-at-home-moms, I learned a few more tips for the pear shape. She suggests pencil skirts and boat neck tops. I am maxed out on scarves, which are difficult for me to wear anyway because I am so short. Some alternatives would be earrings, hair ornaments and necklaces. I can also try cutting the scarves to make them smaller.

I already got two compliments on my new hair style.

For closet cleaning, Colleen uses the acronym KATDOM - Keep, Alter, Toss, Donate, Orphan and Memento. I am working on that bit by bit. Each item in your closet should match at least three other items. I have two blouses from Old Navy which I bought last year, and which are both in my season. However, the sleeves are too long on me. Not only do I need to rip the cuffs off to alter them, but I also need to put in new sleeve plackets. I have only made one blouse before, and I remember that that part was a bit fussy. Thinking I can do a simple version for the sake of having room to put my hands through my sleeves. I am not looking forward to it, however. I also have to hem the new skirt.  I have one memento item, a sweater which I got from Fr. Dosh when he left Minnesota for Venezuela way back when. It is actually in the fall palette. It is too small for me to wear buttoned, however. it will probably just stay there as a relic. I will not allow my husband to wear it.

Enough for now. Off to more second hand stores, and then to gardening.

Pear Notes:

-Jackets should end above the hip.
-Use small belts.
-No pockets, pleats or patterns on the bottom.
-Tops should be slim and fitted.
-Shoulders should be properly fitted.
-Emphasize the shoulder area with embellishments.
-Use lighter colors on top.
-Use color, patterns and eye catching details on top.
-A line or pencil skirts are best, but not a pencil skirt which is angled in at the bottom.
-No ruffles on the bottom.

Suggested reading:

The Lost Art of Dress, Linda Pryzbyszewski (That could be a name from around here!)
The Woman Who Once Made America Stylish
Fabrics and Dress (Home economics book from the 1950's - 1970's)
Lose Your Mommy Tummy

No comments:

Post a Comment