Sunday, September 13, 2015

More Minnesota Authors

My two latest fiction reads were books which I picked up at the St. Cloud Bookshop, Hot Dish Heaven (Jeanne Cooney, North Star Press, St. Cloud, MN 2013) and the second book of the series, A Second Helping of Murder and Recipes (2015).  The books caught my attention because they were advertised as written by a local author, and of course, the titles included the butt of Minnesota folk culture, hot dish. Plus, the books contained recipes. I also purchased them as a preview, to see if they were something I would want to give away as Christmas gifts. After reading them, I think not.

The books take place in the town of Kennedy, in the Red River Valley. Reviewer Lois Grieman, quoted on the  blurb on the back of the first book, was not kidding when she said, 'Hot Dish Heaven is full of Garrison Keillor type characters and tasty Midwest Flavor." As I read the book, I thought the  Scandinavian slang  was taken not from locals, but from Sue Scott on A Prairie Home Companion. It read like plagiarism. The blurb on the back of the first book referenced Lutherans and Irish Catholics, so I was expecting something a bit more reflective of traditional Christian morality. Instead I got a Catholic priest who clearly was not versed in appropriate boundaries for this day and age (!), and a seeming entire community of believers who had no clue as to the practice of the virtue of chastity. I would not call sex in the books graphic, but I would say that the lack of virtue left me feeling flat rather than uplifted and refreshed, with one surprising exception at the end of the second book.

I am a bit curious to see what becomes of  Emerald and Deputy Ryden as a couple should Ms. Cooney write a sequel. However, Emerald's character is such a mess that  I cannot see her maturing enough without a long passage of time for them to have a healthy  relationship which could turn into something permanent.

I am also hoping that a sequel would have some recipes for simple salads besides Jello, even a cole slaw or potato salad. Quick breads would also not be out of keeping with  the "flavor" of the book.

The recipes? I was not impressed with the large amount of pre-packaged ingredients used, from seasoning mixes to boxed Macaroni and Cheese. I always think the point of making a hot dish from scratch is to avoid the preservatives, fats and high sodium content of the boxed versions. Some of the recipes sounded downright repulsive (Pineapple Cheese Hot Dish and Irish Baked Hot Dish.). Most are seasoned with only salt and pepper, sounding very bland.  Most are variations of recipes found commonly in any church cookbook. I am going to try the vanilla and chocolate pudding shots, the chicken dumpling hot dish, and the No-Bake Peanut Butter Cup bars.

I purchased another batch of half-pint jars yesterday so that I can make applesauce from our abundance of apples this fall. I also need to get moving on wall washing and wallpaper stripping so that I can get some painting done before our new flooring is installed in October. Looking forward to our "new" house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment