Sunday, March 13, 2016

Old Capitol Tavern

Tonight we stopped at Old Capitol Tavern in Sauk Rapids for our date. It was our first time there, and our venture to try something different. Different it was. It was not crowed, but the music was a bit loud and obnoxious for us when it was on. It seemed intermittent, so we looked to see if it was coming from a juke box. We did not see anything. The menu was pricier than we are used to spending for both food and drinks. Hot dish is one of their specialties for $16 a plate. I almost ordered the beef stroganoff since I do not put mushrooms in the food at home, but chose the Rueben instead to see how I liked it with gardiniere vegetables. The meat was chunky, and the heat of the vegetables blended well with the salt of the sauerkraut. Still, I would not go out of my way to have it again. Were I to eat there again, I would try the beet salad. I did enjoy the beer cheese soup with popcorn garnish. The popcorn seemed particularly crispy and tender, and tasted good in the soup. The soup also had some chunks of vegetables and some spice. It warned  me through on a damp evening. The waitress brought us three samples of beer, all of which Arthur liked. I liked the two that I had; he did not leave enough of the third one for me to try. He ended up ordering the Lift Bridge Farm Girl from Stillwater, which was a bit ironic since we were in Stillwater a couple of weeks ago, and did not stop at either the winery in town, or the brewery. He told me that next time I would have to order my own beer. I would have enjoyed it had I had say, an eight ounce bottle instead of a twelve ounce bottle, or had I been having a glass of beer with popcorn instead of a big meal. I was stuffed when we left. One of these days I will remember to pass on the fries altogether, or make my husband eat a larger portion. They are giving me indigestion in my old age.

We had the girls here Friday night to Saturday. Ari wanted to rake out in the yard, so we worked on uncovering the flower beds. I hope it is not too early. Next, to go trim back the Autumn Joy sedum and the bee balm which I left up for winter interest. Still no sign of the bulbs which Ari and I planted last fall.

Ari an I saw two pairs of cardinals on the Autumn Blaze maple tree. Actually, more like two males after one female, and another female lagging behind longing for attention. Shortly thereafter we saw a bluebird checking out the bird house. What a treat! I made sure that I filled up my feeders later that afternoon.

Ari is getting detailed in her paintings. She had to give each of us the correct eye color in her portraits yesterday. She gave herself a twirling skirt. The night before we had made some very realistic looking carrots out of play dough. Hope we each get to improve on our artistic expressions as time goes by.

Maja had a nightmare in the middle of the night, so I got up with her. Then she refused to go back to sleep. I carried her with me out to the kitchen in the dark to get a fresh bottle. In the process I knocked something plastic onto the floor. Maja said loudly and clearly, "Oh, oh!" I knew then that she was wide awake. Despite the hour I had a good laugh to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment