Thursday, July 24, 2014

Tumbleweed Tavern Revisited

When I stepped out into the kitchen this morning I remembered that we had been stamping yesterday, and that I still have stamping supplies to pick up. Not my favorite way to face the morning. Still, I liked the congratulatory card that I finished last night, and the card that Anne made for Ian. I think the kids enjoyed their stamping, too.

Our Goddaughter had a birthday to celebrate, so last evening we agreed to meet her mom and dad at the Tumbleweed Tavern in St. Anna. One of their boys frequents the place, so they  were game. When they got out of the van I had to remark that they  were all wearing the same color of blue shirt. We had to get a picture. While my previous post about the Tumbleweed was enthusiastic, this latest visit was not so much to write home about. One of the downsides was that our waitress was overextended. Our food took a long time to come, and we had to ask for more silverware. I was looking forward to some kind of fried chicken, which outside of a chicken basket, was not on the menu. I really debated the Buffalo Chicken Wrap after Maria pointed it out, but decided against it because I thought it would be too hot. I had a Cowboy Burger instead. It was good,  but a little bit awkward to eat. Between the round rye bun and the burger it was more like trying to bite into a ball instead of a patty. I pulled out the knife which had been served thrust into the bun, and the knife handle felt greasy. Eeeew. Not so appetizing. I repressed the squeeming and cut my burger in half  so I would have a point to start eating. That worked much better. I did not dare lift the bun to apply catsup or mustard for fear it would fall apart, so I just dipped it in the side of homemade barbeque sauce which I had ordered. The sauce was sweet and delicious. The Cowboy Burger was supposed to have American cheese on it. I did not look to see if it was there, and cannot particularly remember tasting it. The onions were remarkable, tasting like they had been simmered in beer. Hmmm. The one thing I missed on my plate was a nice slice of salty pickle. Arthur ordered a beer of which the waitress had given him a sample, but she was forced to come back and inform him that then they were out.  For some reason the cook thought that Arthur had requested extra crispy onion rings, so his onion rings came burned, and inedible. They gave him a new order, but I noticed that afterwards he and Randy were remarking on the bottom of the basket. Sounded like it was filled with grease. Maria had a peppercorn burger with mac and cheese bites. She commented that it was too hot. She gave me a slice for tasting. I thought the pepper was quite strong. I did not get a macaroni bite in my portion, Mary had the Southwest Cilantro Chicken Wrap, which was too spicy for her taste as well. I am not sure that she knew that cilantro tastes hot before she ordered, or if the wrap was exceptionally loaded. Randy had barbeque ribs with broccoli. He said the broccoli was very good, soaked in the juice from the ribs. He made it sound good to me, too! He took a portion of his ribs home. On a scale from one to ten, I would have rated this visit about a five. Perhaps if we try it again I will go for the Buffalo Chicken Wraps, or the special, whatever it might be.  Randy took some pictures, so you do get a shot of the bottom of the beautiful mural.
Tumbleweed Tavern

No comments:

Post a Comment