Thursday, November 30, 2017

Hand Made with Love

I stopped at Joann Fabrics today to pick up some odds and ends for some gifts I am making. I was in sticker shock when I left. I spent the entire $40 which I had taken out of the credit union "just in case". All I purchased were spools of ribbon, rick-rack, a couple of zippers, a yard of fabric, and a new plastic bobbin box. I was not able to get twill tape or even the grosgrain ribbon substitute in the sizes that I needed. I also did not find a hook for my newly painted crucifix, or stained glass paint. I sure hope you appreciate hand-made gifts when you receive them. They are far from cheap.

That said, I finally made it to the basement last night to do some cutting for said projects. I discovered that I had fewer fun fat quarters on hand than I thought. I must have given most of them away when I purged fabric last year. I have mostly solids on hand, not exactly the bright and cheerful prints which I saw at my class on Monday. I know I had been collecting solids to go with some of the weird second-hand fabrics which I have cut into quilt squares over the years. One thing at a time. I can buy matching prints as I complete projects.

I had a victory of sorts last night as I did vision therapy exercises. For a flash I saw in 3D while doing the Life Saver exercise. That gives me hope that I will continue to improve.

We had another sunny day, so I spent part of the afternoon cutting back perennials in my flower beds at home. I like to keep a few things up for landscape interest in the winter, and experts recommend leaving plant die-back for animal and insect habitat over winter. I do not like spring clean-up, however. 

I finished the second book of Rebecca Caudill's Fairchild series last night. The main character is Bonnie, the youngest of the Fairchild children. Every incident in the book includes the reactions of each of Bonnie's siblings in order of age from oldest to the youngest. In doing so, the author captures the feelings of a youngest child. I am sure many youngest children would empathize! Iwish that I knew the melodies for the many songs included in the story. My guess is that a first or second grader would enjoy the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment